Here are some tips if you are blogging for the first time for Efficiency Exchange.
1. Think about the content and structure
Your blog should be an easy-to-read online article of around 500 words, following this suggested format:
- Highlight the “why” by describing the context such a new policy, a new venture or a problem to be solved.
- Describe “how” you addressed the issue you faced.
- Don’t forget to include “who” was involved such as staff and students. If you can include a quote from somebody who was involved or benefited from your activity, so much the better.
- Summarise the tips, take-aways and learning from your activity.
- Encourage the reader to discover to more information by linking to a report, case study or your web page.
- For extra brownie points from the editor, you could write a 50 word summary of your blog that we can use on our homepage to describe it.
- Invite feedback from readers to build your network and engage with colleagues.
2. Think about style
Here are some recommendations for blog style:
- Conversational style: Bring your own personality to your writing and talk to your readers as you would in an informal professional conversation.
- Invite comments: Encourage readers to comment and acknowledge their contributions.
- No jargon: Avoid specialist terminology and write for readers who are not specialists in your field.
- Think web and mobile: Provide links not footnotes and keep paragraphs and sentences short. Use bullet points for a short list of steps or tips.
- Be responsible: Express your opinions, but be careful not to say anything that could be interpreted as demeaning or inflammatory.
3. What we need from you
We need a hi-res digital image of you and a short biography of 50 words. You are also invited to send us photos, videos or graphics that could appear in your blog.
4. Terms and conditions
- Authors’ views are their own and are not necessarily endorsed by the Efficiency Exchange or its partners.
- Copyright in content posted on the Efficiency Exchange remains the property of the author or organisation, unless stated to the contrary.
- Blogs are published under a Creative Commons licence with these conditions, unless stated to the contrary:
- Attribution (BY) – requires attribution to the author
- Non-commercial (NC) – restricted to non-commercial purposes
- No Derivatives (ND) – does not allow adaptations of the work.
- The editor will make amendments to improve readability as required.
Efficiency Exchange is published by Universities UK. By continuing to use this website you agree to comply with and be bound by the terms of service and privacy and cookies statement which govern our relationship with you regarding the website.
To find out more contact Dr Cristina Devecchi.